Enormous quantities of glass are produced and discarded in the US and abroad. It is estimated that in the Unites States alone:
- Americans generated 11.5 million tons of glass in the municipal solid waste (MSW) stream in 2010.
- In the U.S. today, 34% of all glass containers are recycled.
- Most bottles and jars contain at least 25% recycled glass.
- Glass never wears out - it can be recycled forever.
- Recycling glass saves 25-32% of the energy used to make glass.
- Glass containers save 9 gallons of fuel (oil) for every ton of glass recycled.
GeoMATRIX Inc. uses crushed and cleaned recycled glass for use in its MinervaTM
product lines. The glass provides a durable alternative to natural aggregate, a beautiful addition to our concrete mix, and helps provide another means of converting discarded waste into useful and attractive building materials.